Japan is being urged to recall its whaling fleet which has just left port for Antarctic. Wildlife Extra and IFAW report | http://twitter.com/#!/LearnFromNature
|BARBARIC: The Japanese whaling operation|
According to Japanese media reports, the country’s whaling fleet is en route to the pristine Southern Ocean Sanctuary to kill up to 935 minke whales and 50 endangered fin whales, in defiance of global opposition and several international laws.
‘This industry is dying’
Japan is believed to have provided around US$30 million in additional government security budget to protect the fleet this season. Japan hunts whales in the seas surrounding Antarctica under the loophole of “scientific whaling” despite the worldwide ban on commercial whaling.
Robbie Marsland, director of the International Fund for Animal Welfare (IFAW UK) said: ‘We are disappointed although not surprised that Japan’s whaling fleet has once more set sail for Antarctica to slaughter more whales. The reality, though, is that the whaling industry is dying and this is its last gasp. The economics show that whaling is unprofitable and a bad policy for the Japanese people as well as for whales.’
Whales take more than half an hour to die
IFAW opposes whaling because it is cruel and unnecessary; there is simply no humane way to kill a whale. Footage of Japanese whaling analysed by IFAW scientists has shown whales can take more than half an hour to die.
While whaling is uneconomic, whale-watching offers a humane and profitable alternative to the cruelty of whaling, generating around US$2.1 billion annually for coastal communities.
According to recent media reports the Australian Customs ship Ocean Protector, docked in Hobart, may be preparing to sail to the Southern Ocean to monitor the whaling season.
During the last season of Southern Ocean whaling, the Japanese fleet headed back to port early with less than half of its self-allocated catch quota following pressure from many fronts.
- Japan Urged to Recall Whaling Fleet and Abandon Dying Whale Meat Industry (prnewswire.com)
- Tsunami Disaster Funds To Be Used For Whaling? (legalaction4animalrights.net)
- Japan Planning to Kill More Whales in Antarctica (IFAW Reports) (inquisitr.com)
- Japan whaling fleet accused of using tsunami disaster funds (greenactivist.wordpress.com)
- Japan whaling fleet accused of using tsunami disaster funds (guardian.co.uk)
- Japan says some tsunami reconstruction funds going to whaling (cnn.com)
- Watching the Whalers Every Move (wefightforwhales.wordpress.com)
- Japan whalers take Sea Shepherd activists to court – Reuters India (in.reuters.com)
- Annual Japan Whale Hunt Begins with Lawsuits (ibtimes.com)
- New depths for whaling war (smh.com.au)