Sign up here : http://www.earthhour.org/
Earth Hour is a simple idea gone global. Show your support and switch off!
WWF is calling for people across the world to take part in Earth Hour 2013 — the biggest switch-off in history. At 8:30pm on 23rd March hundreds of millions of people across the globe are expected to turn off their lights for an hour, to show they care about the future of our planet.
Last year’s Earth Hour saw a staggering 6,950 towns and cities in more than 152 countries take part in what has become a global movement.
From a single domestic light bulb to giant iconic illuminations such as Big Ben, the Taj Mahal and the Sydney Opera House, the Earth Hour switch-off can demonstrate a determination to help protect the planet.
Rachel Bloodworth, spokesperson for WWF, explains: “Earth Hour is a simple idea that’s gone global. Hundreds of millions of people turn off their lights for one hour, on the same night, all across the planet; a visual demonstration that shows just how much people care about our wonderful planet.”
Celebrity chefs Gordon Ramsay, Jamie Oliver, Ken Hom and Val Warner have devised recipes to encourage friends and families to cook a special meal for the occasion — to then enjoy by candlelight during Earth Hour.
The recipes, which follow the five WWF Livewell principles of healthy eating, will be shared with the public at wwf.org.uk/earthhour.
Earth Hour supporter Jamie Oliver has some great ideas of his own for helping the environment: “We can all make simple changes to help, like always buying as much local produce as possible, choosing higher-welfare meat, and even trying to have a couple of meat-free days a week. Together we can make a massive difference.”
Keeping the kids amused
To help entertain children while the lights are out, some of WWF’s ambassadors have teamed up to record readings of Rudyard Kipling‘s famous children’s tales from the ‘Just So’ stories. Audiobooks of the recordings will be available for exclusive download from the Earth Hour website.
- Earth hour 2013: “I will if YOU will” (energment.wordpress.com)
- Earth Hour on March 23 goes a step further with an active campaign (ekathimerini.com)
- Uganda unveils the world’s first Earth Hour forest (wwf.panda.org)
- Hotels Participating in Earth Hour to Take Environmental Action Beyond the Hour (earthhourlive.wordpress.com)
- Musicians Make Call to Unite the World From All Corners of Globe (earthhourlive.wordpress.com)
- Earth Hour 2013 (ecology.com)
- Earth Hour 2013 (npastro.wordpress.com)
- Switch off for Earth Hour (fijitimes.com)