This website is run by Henricus Peters
Follow me on click on http://twitter.com/#!/LearnFromNature
Follow me on click on http://www.facebook.com/NAEEUK
About ‘Learn From Nature’
Humans, as regions and nations, even as individuals, share the Earth with many billions of peoples and countless other living organisms, but the latter we all too easily take for granted. We live and use earth’s resources with an attitude of near-pure exploitation, ‘as if’ it the resources of the Earth are infinite and limitless.
I believe that we can and must begin, as individuals, group and through better government – to refine what we mean by ‘sustainability and ‘share’ collective responsibility for today and plan, in real and practical ways, for this and future generations.
We believe we can work together to make a real difference, to make a better world, in which we live more sustainably. If we might just ‘learn to live – and not fight against – nature!
‘Learn From Nature’ aims to contribute news and ideas.
About the writer
Learn from Nature is run by Henricus Peters : Currently a primary teacher and writer
Background and values
- Born and raised in Canterbury, New Zealand – initially in Christchurch the site of earthquakes. I studied at Waikato University – Social Services including Geography and Education, then undertook a masters degree in Education as part of my teacher training. I am especially interested in how people of diverse cultures interact with each other and their natural and built environments – therefore geography and environmental education! After marrying Anne, traveled though Africa and Europe before living in the United Kingdom for several years. I am now teaching in Shanghai, China – so living a cultural experience!
- Believe that all life is interconnected – including mountains, rivers, down the coasts; the role of Nature in all our lives and the importance of improving our relationship with the world, especially living sustainably; getting children outdoors!
* Consultant: Geography Association representative to Collins Resources Atlas http://www.geography.org.uk/
* Executive Board of the National Association for Environmental Education – currently Co-Chair and Managing Editor
* Writer: Regular writer for Environmental Education journal http://www.naee.org.uk/ , Geographical Association magazines, Science in Education magazine http://www.ase.org.uk/, Chesham Town Talk magazine http://www.cheshamtowntalk.org.uk/, Yellow-Eyed Trust publications http://yellow-eyedpenguin.org.nz/
* Contributing writer for NAEE’s Positive Action handbook for sustainable schools in the community http://www.naee.org.uk/
* Recipient of the Anne Swaine Award 2007 for establishing an after-school Nature Group
Interests and memberships
*Hiking, Cub scout leader in New Zealand, United Kingdom and China (Boy Scouts of America)
* National Association for Environmental Education, Royal Forest and Bird Protection Society, Yellow eyed Penguin Trust, Geographical Association, Wildlife Trusts, Marine Conservation,
ABOUT THE SITE
LearnFromNature aims to explore the world ‘about’ the environment and education… by:
~ informing – via links and useful Resources and clarifying and debating some of the those ideas
~ share ideas and opinion, using
+ twitter http://twitter.com/#!/LearnFromNature
+ facebook http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo